Okblues Designs Blog

Favorite Scrap Sites



Top DigiScrap Blogs
Favorite Blogs
Other Favorite Sites
Favorite Scripture
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6



Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Apple Pie Wednesday

Doesn't this look yummy?

jburkhart posted a pie quiz on her blog a few days ago & there were so many tasty pies discussed, it spurred me to dig through my pie recipes.

Apple pie is always a favorite in our family. This particular apple pie is absolutely delicious! The recipe for Southern Ambrosia Apple Pie is by Linda Hunter of Drummond, Oklahoma. Our electric cooperative organized a benefit bake-off last year to raise funds for the JD McCarty Center for Children with developemental disabilities. This was the grand prize winner and after baking it, I can see why. It was published in the Oklahoma Living magazine for cooperative members. They no longer have it online in their archives, so I will put it here for those interested.


Southern Ambrosia Apple Pie

1 pastry shell, 9"
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 T butter or margarine
2 T cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups thinly sliced, peeled baking apples
2 tsp lemon juice
1 egg
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line pastry shell with foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and cool. In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring sugar, apple juice, butter, cornstarch and salt to a boil. stir in apples and lemon juice; cook and stir until apples are crisp-tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour into pastry shell. In a smal bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, coconut, vanilla and cinnamon; mix well. Pour over apple mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.

Pecan Cream Topping

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
Whole pecans, toasted

For topping, beat cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cooled pie. Garnish with toasted whole pecans by making a row of pecans about 1 1/2 inches from crust and placing one in center. Chill 4 to 6 hours.

My notes: I find it better in a 10" deep dish pastry shell. And we seldom get to let it chill for 4 to 6 hours. Hubby prefers it at room temperature.
posted by Alice @ 5:25 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 9/13/2006 8:19 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Oh My Gosh - I gained 10 pounds just reading the recipe! I want to try it, it sounds so delicious. Thanks for listing the recipe Alice.

    Donna

     
  • At 9/13/2006 8:31 PM, Blogger dianagrind said…

    Thanks for freebie today. Very nice. They pie sounds GREAT. Someday you should share Randy's Chocolate Gravy recipe with them. Best I ever had!! (Only time I ever had it. lol)

     
  • At 9/18/2006 8:35 PM, Blogger jburkhart said…

    YUM!!!!! YUM!!!!!! I went right ahead and printed this delicious pie out....gosh, it sounds super yummy!!!

    Thanks for sharing it!

    SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alice
Home: Oklahoma, United States
About Me: Hi and welcome to my first blog. I am a SAHM, married to my soulmate Randy, for 21 years. I am mother to JoAnn 11, Daniel 10, Doris 9, and Matthew, our angel baby. I've only been digi-scrapping a few months and have quickly become addicted. It is an awesome way to combine my love for family, digital photography and graphic design. See my complete profile
Creative Teams

Layout Galleries
Previous Posts
Archives
My Clock
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Counter
Header Quote
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you
create what you will"
George Bernard Shaw